The Irigwe Development Association (IDA) has confirmed the killing of 14 persons by suspected bandits in a midnight attack on Sunday at Ri Do, a hamlet in Riyom LGA of Plateau State.
Ri Do is a village predominantly inhabited by Irigwe natives from Bassa LGA of the State.
Daily Independent gathered from the affected community that mass burial was organized for the victims of the incident in the area.
IDA in a statement issued by the National Publicity Secretary Sam Jugo said immediately they heard the news of the killing , they despatched an Executive Member to the scene to verify the extent and scope of the carnage.
According to the statement reports emanating from their emissary indicates that 14 persons were murdered in cold blood, while one Linda Moses, about 32 years of age, sustained serious injuries and is presently receiving medical attention at an undisclosed location.
IDA further said the identities of the perpetrators have not yet been ascertained as at press time.
They urged for restraint and hope that the Security Agencies will do the needful to nip probable reoccurrence and/or reprisals in future.
“Our hearts bleed for the demise of our kinsmen whom we hoped to spend this yuletide together but their lives were cut short. May their souls rest in peace with their maker and God’s comfort to their immediate families and the Irigwe nation.”
Similarly, the Plateau State Government through the Commissioner for Information and Communication Hon. Musa Ashoms also confirmed the incident and condemned the attack.
Ashom urged security agencies to go after the perpetrators with a view to apprehend them.
Earlier the Plateau State Police Command had earlier banned night grazing and farming activities in the state.
Other measures include deploying personnel across all 17 LGAs, banning late-night beer parlours, mining activities, and commercial motorcycles.
The state Commissioner of Police, Emmanuel Adesina, said these measures followed engagements with stakeholders to ensure a peaceful atmosphere during and after the Christmas festive season.
As at the time of filling this report, spokesman for the Plateau State Police Command, DSP Alfred Alabo, and the spokesman for the Military Task Force, Major Samson Zhakom, had not release any statements regarding the attack.
Read the full article here

