Content creator and philanthropist Mitchell Mukoro, popularly known as King Mitchy, has issued a public apology following weeks of online controversy triggered by her conduct on social media, including a distressing live video in which she appeared to ingest a harmful substance.
In a video posted on her Instagram page on Thursday, the influencer apologised to Seyi Tinubu, social media activist Martins Vincent Otse, popularly known as VeryDarkMan, and the Ooni of Ife, as well as to Nigerians who had criticised her actions.
The apology comes after a heated online feud that began in late February and spiralled into allegations, counter-allegations and widespread debate on social media.
Public apology
Speaking in the video, the influencer admitted that her conduct had fallen short of the standards expected of a public figure.
โGood morning, Nigerians. Iโm ready to be held accountable for my actions. For some days Iโve thought about my behaviour, and I know that I was wrong and I want to be held accountable,โ she said.
She also acknowledged criticism over a live broadcast during which she appeared to consume a substance believed to be bleach.
โFor the substance I took on live video, that was very wrong of me because there are young girls who are looking up to me one day, and I know I disappointed a lot of people. That was wrong of me, I was wrong,โ she said.
Addressing Mr Tinubu, whom she referred to as โSTโ, she apologised for comments she had previously made online.
โAnd my boss ST (Seyi Tinubu), Iโm so sorry. I know I apologised privately, but I did not disrespect you privately; I disrespected you publicly, so I want to apologise publicly. Iโm so sorry, sir. I want you to know that I will never take your support for granted,โ she said.
Ooni
The influencer also apologised to the Ooni of Ife, kneeling in the video as she expressed regret for dragging the monarch into the controversy.
โIโm so sorry, sir. Iโm so sorry for bringing your name into this. Iโm so sorry, Daddy,โ she said.
She also addressed VeryDarkMan, describing him as her โbrotherโ and saying she had come to understand his activism better.

โYouโre fighting for Nigerians, and we can make Nigeria a better place, and Iโm sorry for coming at you like that,โ she said.
โMaybe now I understand you better because I had to step back and understand the kind of person that you are, youโre fighting for a good cause for Nigeria to be better. And you need more supporters, not people to fight you.โ
How the controversy started
The controversy began after King Mitchy announced that she had renovated a dilapidated school in Delta State within six days through her charitable initiative, presenting the project as evidence that meaningful change could occur quickly with genuine commitment.
She attributed the projectโs financial backing to Seyi and to music executive and Mavin Records founder Don Jazzy.
However, some of her remarks during the announcement were widely interpreted online as veiled criticism of VeryDarkMan, a social media activist known for publicly confronting perceived corruption and social injustice.
The activist subsequently accused her of being used as a political pawn to โlaunderโ the image of the Bola Ahmed Tinubu administration, claims that further fuelled tensions online.
The situation intensified when the influencer posted what she described as a private social media conversation with the Ooni of Ife, claiming that โeven this kingโ had reached out to her. Critics said the disclosure was disrespectful to the monarch and questioned her motives.
Bleach video and death rumour
The dispute took a dramatic turn when Mitchy, during an emotional live video session, appeared to drink a substance believed by viewers to be bleach. Several viewers attempted to dissuade her during the broadcast.
Shortly afterwards, a statement posted on her Instagram page by her management claimed that she had died at Prime Care Hospital in Abuja after medical efforts to revive her failed.
The announcement sparked widespread alarm across social media.
However, the hospital quickly issued a statement denying the claim.
The facility said the influencer was neither admitted to nor died at its hospital and warned that it would investigate the source of the misinformation and consider legal action against those responsible.
Mitchyโs management later retracted the earlier statement, clarifying that she was alive and recovering.
โMichelle is okay now,โ the follow-up post read.

Seyi Tinubu denies involvement
Amid the controversy, Mr Tinubu also issued a statement rejecting allegations that he had been involved in the feud between Mitchy and VeryDarkMan.
READ ALSO:ย VDM vs King Mitchy: Seyi Tinubu speaks out, denies allegations
He said he had met the influencer only once in a public setting and had supported her charitable activities financially as part of his broader philanthropic work supporting youth initiatives.
โI met Mitchy once, in a public setting, alongside others. On that occasion, I provided financial support toward her NGO activities, just as I have supported many young Nigerians and organisations working to empower our people,โ he said.
Mr Tinubu also denied having any private dealings with the influencer.
โThere has never been a private encounter, no secret arrangement, and no impropriety of any kind,โ he said.
He further accused VeryDarkMan of using a feud he had no involvement in to attack his reputation.
โIf my name generates attention, let us at least deal in facts. Supporting charitable causes is not a crime. Meeting someone publicly to support their NGO is not a scandal,โ he added.
Read the full article here














